Complete the sentences with one of the expressions:
a) on the whole (=taking all things into consideration);
b) as a whole (=as a single unit and not as separate parts).
1. …, it was quite a good speech.
2. A healthy economy is in the best interests of society … .
3. The college … supports the principal.
4. …, the results are very good.
5. It was an interesting conference … .
6. …, we are in agreement.
7. …, the relocation seems to have been beneficial.
8. Life … is a continuous thing.
9. The way a team plays … determines its success.
11. Choose the correct synonyms (aim, goal, objective, target or purpose) to fill in the gaps. Use a dictionary to explain the difference in their meaning.
1. His _______ was to improve productivity in the company.
2. What is the _______ of your visit?
3. The president had the _______ of being re-elected.
4. Our _______ is to provide a good standard of medical care.
5. My current _______ is to hike five miles today.
6. My ultimate _______ is to lose some weight.
7. The team has been successful in achieving their _______.
8. The _______ of this project is to help young entrepreneurs to be more independent.
12. Explain the meanings of the phrasal verb let in the sentences below. Use a dictionary if necessary.
1. I shall let that remark by.
2. He let me down.
3. The chairman refused to let in the possibility of doubt.
4. When police realised who he was, they let him off with a warning.
5. She knows a lot more than she lets on.
6. Once he gets angry, he lets out at anyone who opposes him.
7. The committee let the report through.
8. She was so far ahead that she could afford to let up a bit.
13. Think over some contexts to illustrate the proverbs/sayings which contain the verb let.
1. Let a chance slip.
2. Let bygones be bygones.
3. Let each tailor mend his own coat.
4. Let every man praise the bridge he goes over.
5. Let every sheep hang by its own shank.
6. Let every tailor stick to his goose.
14. Write 2-4 paragraphs (up to 100 words) and explain if you agree/disagree with the following statements:
· Better quality costs more money.
· Improved quality brings improved financial performance.
Comment on the quotations attributed to some famous people.
Henry Ford, an American industrialist, the founder of the Ford Motor Company:
“If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.”
“There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.”
Richard Branson, an English business magnate and investor, best known as the founder of Virgin Group of more than 400 companies:
“If you look after your internal customers, you don’t have to worry about your external customers.”
“We’ve got an engaging, edgy, vibrant, fun product, ... It may or may not work, but we’re going to give it our best shot.”
William Edwards Deming an American statistician, professor, and consultant: “In the future there will be two kinds of companies – those who have implemented Total Quality Management and those that have gone out of business; you do not have to do this – survival is not compulsory.”
Render the text in English.
ISO 9000 – серия международных стандартов, описывающих требования к системе менеджмента качества организаций и предприятий. Стандарты ISO 9000, принятые более чем 190 странами мира в качестве национальных, применимы к любым предприятиям, независимо от их размера, форм собственности и сферы деятельности.
Сертификация производится по единственному стандарту из этой серии, содержащему требования ISO 9001. Организация ISO не проводит сертификацию по ISO 9001. Действует двухуровневая система подтверждения соответствия. Сертификацией систем менеджмента качества отдельных организаций занимаются специально сформированные аудиторские организации (органы по сертификации). Они, в свою очередь, аккредитуются национальными аккредитационными обществами. Также существуют и независимые системы аккредитации.
Role - playing
You are a customer. Consider your favorite product or service. What do you value in it, and what matters most? Discuss with your partner, who is a supplier, your requirements for the product or service as well as possible ways of its further improvement and development.
Consider an organization with which you are familiar (perhaps, your University/Academy, or a company which you have worked for). Think over the arguments you would use to persuade the organization to adopt and implement Quality Management. How would your organization get the best out of an ISO 9000 Standard application?
|Tick (✓) “Yes” or “No” answers in appropriate columns and lines to self-assess your knowledge and skills.||Yes||No|
|- the topical vocabulary “Quality management”;|
|- what quality management is and why it is so important to follow international standards for quality management;|
|- different meanings of the word number;|
|- the difference in the meaning and usage of the expressions on the whole and as a whole;|
|- the difference in the meaning and usage of the words aim, goal, objective, target, purpose;|
|- some proverbs/sayings with the verb let.|
|- use the phrasal verb let with different particles;|
|- comment on some famous businessmen’s quotations;|
|- role-play (discuss the qualities of a favorite product/service);|
|- find enough argument to persuade a company/ organization to adopt and implement quality management standards.|
|Total number of positive/negative answers:|
PART II: SPECIAL MANAGEMENT
M Конец формы
MoMMMmMMmmmmm odule 11
1. What functions does the Federal Customs Service perform?
2. Do you agree that the FCS is of the utmost importance for the security and well-being of the country?
3. Should the FCS be properly organized and managed? How can it be done?
The Federal Customs Service
The Federal Customs Service is a federal executive authority carrying out its duties and functions in accordance with the Law of the Russian Federation. The FCS functions with regard to the customs issues: currency control, transport control and document check in specially equipped checkpoints on the state border of the Russian Federation as well as special functions of dealing with crimes and administrative violations.
The Federal Customs Service is being managed and directed by the Government of the Russian Federation. In conducting its activity, the Federal Customs Service shall be guided by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal constitutional laws, acts, directives and resolutions by the President of the Russian Federation, directives and orders of the Government of the Russian Federation, international treaties of the Russian Federation, and regulatory documents of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation.
The Federal Customs Service shall be headed by the Head appointed to and discharged from the post by the Government of the Russian Federation. The Head of the Federal Customs Service shall be personally responsible for exercising powers assigned to the FCS within the established scope of activities:
- bring to the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation proposals on setting a draft federal budget as regards financing of FCS activities;
- appoint to and discharge from posts officials of the FCS Central Office, Heads of Regional Customs Directorates and Customs Office Administrators, and other officials and employees of customs authorities of the Russian Federation, including officials and employees of FCS Representative Offices abroad;
- approve the structure and manning table of the FCS Central Office;
- determine competences of customs authorities and officials thereof to resolve organizational, HR, finance and other issues.
The Head of the Federal Customs Service has Deputies appointed to and discharged from the post by the Government of the Russian Federation. Deputy Heads of the Federal Customs Service shall report to the Head of the Federal Customs Service in finance and economic activity issues, while in field operations issues, they shall be authorized to take independent decisions.
The Federal Customs Service has the right to set up, reorganize and liquidate regional Customs Departments, Offices and Customs Stations. Currently, there are eight regional departments (directorates): Central Customs Directorate, Siberian Customs Directorate, North Western Customs Directorate, Southern Customs Directorate, North Caucasian Customs Directorate, Privolzhsky (Volga) Customs Directorate, Urals Customs Directorate, and Far Eastern Customs Directorate.
The Federal Customs Service is an entity which has its duly approved heraldic symbols: an emblem, a seal, a flag and a pennon.
The Head Office of Federal Customs Service is located in Moscow.
(From: Regulations on Federal Customs Service)
1. What duties does the FCS carry out?
2. What authority is the federal Customs Service managed and directed by?
3. What documents is the Federal Customs Service guided by?
4. Who appoints and discharges the Head of the FCS?
5. What is the Head of the Federal Customs Service personally responsible for?
6. What are the duties and responsibilities of Deputy Heads of the Federal Customs Service?
7. Do they take any independent decisions?
8. What customs regional departments or directorates can you name?
9. Does the FCS have its duly approved heraldic symbols?
10. Where is the Head Office of Federal Customs Service located?
Дата добавления: 2018-11-24; просмотров: 15;