Ex.3 Match the sentence halves
|1 Beer, bread and cheese||a) to make bread and wine around 4000BC!|
|2.A standard definition is that biotechnology (or biotech for short)||b) by the fermentation of micro-organisms.|
|3.This ancient technique was first used in Egypt||c) are all produced using biotechnology.|
|4.And as you know, the food and drink above are all produced||d) is the application of science and engineering to the direct or indirect use of living organisms.|
|5.There is a great cultural divide between America and Europe over whether such||e) so that they are more resistant to bad conditions like drought floods and frost.|
|6. This involves changing the genetic code of these plants||f) food is safe to eat and will not harm the environment and the discussion is still in progress.|
|7. However, things are very different in Europe where||g) has been in practice for many years.|
|8. The genetic modification of plants and crops||h) genetically modified food is very strictly regulated and regarded with deep suspicion by the public.|
Ex. 4 Answer the following questions.
1. What is biotechnology?
2. What kind of food is produced by the fermentation of micro-organisms?
3. What is the function of the yeast in beer?
4. When and where was the fermentation technique used for the first time?
5. For what purposes is the genetic modification of plants and crops used in biotechnology?
6. Why has GM food even been called “Frankenfood” in the press?
7. Are you afraid of GM food ? If yes, why?
Ex. 5 Define which two texts belong the following sentences.
1. For many years people use the genetic modification of plants and crops in practice . GM food
2. This ancient technique was first used in Egypt to make bread and wine around 4000BC!
3. 2.And as you know, the food and drink above are all produced by the fermentation of micro-organisms. Beer and cheese
4. 2 The scientists change the genetic code of plants so that they are more resistant to bad weather conditions . GM f
5. Food we eat every day are all produced using biotechnology. B a Ch
6. 5 In Europe genetically modified food is very strictly regulated than in America. GM
7. What food is safe to eat and will not harm the environment ?GM
8. 7 The discussion about GM food is still in progress.GM
9. In beer, the yeast multiplies as it eats the sugars in the mixture and turns them into alcohol and CO2. Beer
Frank and Ann about GM food
Listen to two students talking about genetically modified food. Frank is for GM food but his friend Ann is against it.
Exercise 1. Match the words and phrases in the table to their definitions.
|1. genetically modified||a. confusion and disorder|
|2. vaccine||b. an increase in the world temperature caused by gasses like CO2|
|3. ecosystem||c. to control someone totally|
|4. global warming||d. describes a person who thinks people are selfish – someone who doesn’t trust anyone|
|5. habitat||e. an type of medicine that prevents people from getting a disease|
|6. extinct||f. a formal discussion|
|7. a guinea pig||g. something that happens because of the event that happened before|
|8. climate change||h. describes a plant or animal that has been changed by scientists|
|9. daft||i. all the animals and plants living in an area|
|10. altered||j. changed, generally improved|
|11. havoc||k. when all the individuals of a species have died (like dinosaurs and the dodo)|
|12. cynical||l. someone who is used in a test for something such as a new medicine or product|
|13. cautious||m. describes a silly or stupid person|
|14. dominate||n. the natural home of an animal or plant|
|15. a knock on effect||o. the way the world's weather is changing|
|16. debate||p. describes someone who is very careful|
Дата добавления: 2018-04-04; просмотров: 347; Мы поможем в написании вашей работы!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!