Vocabulary and grammar acquisition
Read the words paying attention to the pronunciation of the bold-typed letters. Consult a dictionary if necessary.
Culture, artеfacts, values, assumptions, behavior, refers, groups, government, agencies, entities, company, concept, neither, nor, competitive, enough, interlinked, organizational, higher, favor, whichever, find, facilitate, key, goals, reward, fair, subcultures, own, unique, diverse, national, regional, shaping, ethics, should, knowledgeable, identity, core, healthy.
2. Read the words with the suffix –ate which is pronounced differently depending upon the part of speech.
|Verbs -ate/eit / activate, aggregate, associate, ate, co-operate, create, duplicate, initiate, facilitate, fascinate, motivate, separate, violate|
|Adjectives -ate/ət/ aggregate, associate, corporate, delicate, fortunate, intricate, legitimate, separate|
|Nouns -ate/ət/ or /eit/ certificate, duplicate, electorate, emirate, distillate, doctorate, professoriate; but: condensate, mandate, nitrate|
3. Practice reading words with the suffix –que /k/.
Antique, cheque, discotheque, grotesque, mosque, mystique, physique, picturesque, technique, unique.
Translate the following expressions into Russian.
Organizational culture; cultural artifacts, values and assumptions; collective behavior of humans; not-for-profit groups; government agencies; business entities; similar concept; to remain competitive; a reflection of the culture; employee involvement; employee satisfaction and motivation; key HR businesses; ongoing training; continuous communication channels; clear goals; creating a fair reward system; work ethics; employee identity.
Find English equivalents in the text.
Предметы материальной культуры; предположения; некоммерческий; конкурентоспособный; взаимосвязанный; приветствовать; вовлеченность; непрерывный; субкультуры; разнообразный; существенный; информированный.
6. Find in the text all the adjectives which collocate with the word “culture”.
E.g. Organizational culture, …
7. Form word-combinations with the word “corporate” and translate them into Russian. Use a dictionary if necessary.
|corporate||assets culture company effort image memory merger party responsibility|
8. Study the meaning of the prefixes sub- and co- in the words below. Use an English-Russain dictionary to translate the words into Russian.
A) sub-branch, sub-committee, sub-contractor, sub-division, sub-group, sub-heading, sub-human, sub-normal, sub-prime, sub-rosa, sub-section, sub-standard, sub-text, sub-total;
B) co-author, co-brand, co-chair, co-counseling, co-education, co-existence, co-founder, co-insurance, co-locate, co-operate, co-ordinate, co-own, co-partner, co-worker.
Make up 4-6 sentences with the words from the exercise above.
Explain (or paraphrase) the following sentences. Pay attention to the parts in bold type.
1. Organizational culture refers to … any type of organization be it school, university, not-for-profit groups, government agencies or business entities.
2. … the way they do things around there is different from the way we do things around here.
3. HRM is a reflection of the culture in which it operates.
4. HR managers should be knowledgeable about the national and regional factors … .
5. The role that HRM has … is the core of managing a healthy organizational culture.
6. In organizational cultures where employee involvement is common, it is more likely to have higher employee satisfaction and motivation than in the ones that do not favor employee involvement.
7. National and regional cultures are also significant in shaping the organizational cultures.
11. Match the words with their definitions. Use an English-English dictionary if necessary.
|1||not-for-profit||a||moral principles that govern a person’s or group's behavior|
|2||concept||b||the way in which one acts or conducts oneself|
|4||behavior||d||the aim or object towards which an endeavor is directed|
|5||ethics||e||not making or conducted primarily to make a financial gain|
|6||identity||f||an abstract idea; a general notion|
12. Study the meanings of the so-called Wh-words which contain the element –ever. Use the Wh-words to fill in the gaps in the sentences below. Translate the latter into Russian.
|whenever||any time/every time|
|whichever||any “which” (choice between a group or set)|
|however||any “way” (in any manner or way)|
1. _______ goes to the shop, please don’t steal anything.
2. The criminal said he would do _______ he could in order to get out of jail.
3. With a good education in English, _______ you go, you will have a good time.
4. _______ road you take, you will need to drive carefully.
5. You can do it _______ you like, I don’t really care as long as it gets done.
6. Call me _______ you need something.
13. Comment on the meanings of the conjunction neither … nor “ ни …, ни …” in the following sentences.
1. Neither my friend nor I am fond of windsurfing.
2. Neither his parents, nor he intends to stay here for another week.
3. I neither liked the entertainment nor the club itself.
4. Neither the students nor the teacher understands what is going on.
5. I am neither for nor against it.
6. But neither car nor lorry stopped for him.
Дата добавления: 2018-11-24; просмотров: 98;