Find the meaning of the highlighted words
Fill in the gaps
|a. a thermal conductivity b. susceptible c.fibreglass d.genericized trademark e.thermal insulation||f.mud and straw g.matrix h.a reinforcing agent i. the structural network j. composite materials|
1. When you think of examples of hi-tech materials, …………come to mind- such as carbon-fibre, used in aerospace and Formula 1 cars.
2. The earliest examples of composite materials were bricks made from………..
3. Or, to use the correct composite terms, from straw reinforcement- ………that reinforces the material inside, and a mud ………. - the material surrounding the reinforcement.
4.………. (also called fibreglass and glass fibre) is material made from extremely fine fibers of glass.
5. It is marketed under the trade name Fiberglas, which has become a …………...
6. However, the increased surface area makes them much more …………. to chemical attack.
7. By trapping air within them, blocks of glass fibre make good ………….., with a thermal ………………of 0.05 W/m-K.
Complete the following sentences using information from the text.
1. When you think of examples of hi-tech materials,…
2. The earliest examples of composite materials…
3. A modern, everyday example is fiberglass…
4. It is used asa reinforcing agent for many polymer products…
5. In 1893, Edward Drummond Libbey exhibited a dress…
6. Glass fibers are useful because of…
7. One of the main attractions of the sport is its simplicity….
5. Match the sentences halves.
| ||a. composite materials come to mind- such as carbon-fibre, used in aerospace and Formula 1 cars.|
| ||b. but mass manufacture of fibreglass was only made possible with the advent of finer machine-tooling.|
| ||c. and a mud matrix- the material surrounding the reinforcement.|
| ||d. is material made from extremely fine fibers of glass|
| ||e. with a thermal conductivity of 0.05 W/m-K.|
| ||f. which has become a genericized trademark.|
|7. However, the increased surface area makes them||g. bricks made from mud and straw.|
|8. By trapping air within them, blocks of glass fibre make good thermal insulation,||h. to catch waves of varying shapes and sizes as they roll in towards the beach.|
|9. Contemporary surfers use lightweight fibreglass boards||i. much more susceptible to chemical attack.|
6. Answer the following questions.
1. What is the earliest example of composite materials?
2. What is the reinforcement?
3. What does the reinforcement do?
4. What is the function of the reinforcement?
5. What is matrix?
6. What is “fiberglass” made of?
7. Who invented "fibreglass" as a material to be used as insulation.?
8. Why are glass fibers useful?
9. In what kind of sports is "fibreglass" used?
TYPES OF GRAPHS
Verbs for things going up
Peak up (especially for numbers, prices,etc.)
Verbs for things going down
Bottom out (especially when talking about prices)
Дата добавления: 2018-04-04; просмотров: 288; Мы поможем в написании вашей работы!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!